THIS EVENT IS SOLD OUT. Please join our email list for updates and to be notified of a future screening.
On October 4, 2010, Schools for Children will host a special screening in the Greater Boston area of a remarkable new film called Race to Nowhere, a documentary about the pressures faced by American students and their teachers in our achievement-driven public and private education system and culture.
The screening will be held at the Regent Theatre in Arlington, MA. beginning at 7 p.m. After the screening, noted speaker and author on human behavior, education and parenting Alfie Kohn will lead a discussion with Richard Weissbourd, an author and lecturer in education at the Harvard Graduate School of Education. Audience members will also be invited to share their questions and responses.
Featuring the heartbreaking stories of young people across the country who have been pushed to the brink, educators who are burned out, worried students who aren’t developing the skills they need, and parents trying to do what’s best for their kids, Race to Nowhere points to a silent epidemic in our schools.
Our "achievement culture," the film suggests, has a dark side and comes at a cost—cheating has become commonplace, students have become disengaged, stress-related illness are on the rise, depression and burnout are rampant, and young people arrive at college and the workplace unprepared and uninspired.
Race to Nowhere is a call to mobilize families, educators and policy makers to challenge current assumptions on how to best prepare the youth of America to become healthy, bright, contributing and leading citizens.
Featured in the film:
- Dr. Madeline Levine, clinical psychologist and author of the best-seller, The Price of Privilege
- Dr. Wendy Mogel, Clinical Psychologist and author of The Blessing of a Skinned Knee
- Dr. Kenneth Ginsburg, Adolescent Medicine Specialist, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
- Dr. Deborah Stipek, Dean of the School of Education at Stanford University
- Dr. Denise Pope, Co-Founder, Challenge Success, Stanford University
- Sara Bennett, Founder, Stop Homework
Visit the film website here. Race to Nowhere.